If you’ve been charged with a crime, you may be wondering why you need a criminal lawyer. Since the U.S. Constitution guarantees every person accused of a crime the right to an attorney, this is where an experienced criminal lawyer comes in.
Criminal attorneys, like those at Jenkins-Bryant & Surrette, PC located in Worcester, MA, help you when you’re charged with a crime. Specifically, criminal law professionals will help you through the process, from investigation to potential trial:
- A criminal lawyer will support you in your arraignment, investigate the charges against you, gather evidence, interview witnesses, and prepare your defense.
- If you go to trial, your attorney will present your side of the story to the jury and cross-examine the prosecution’s witnesses.
- If you’re convicted, your lawyer will work on your behalf to get your sentence reduced or get you placed on probation instead of serving time in jail or prison.
What is a Criminal Lawyer?
A criminal lawyer is an attorney who specializes in the defense of individuals and companies charged with criminal conduct. A Berkley, Massachusetts, criminal law professional can be hired to represent a defendant in criminal court, or can be employed by the government to prosecute criminals.
Most criminal lawyers have a Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school, and many have completed a clerkship with a judge or worked as prosecutors before going into private practice. In addition, criminal lawyers must be licensed to practice law by their state bar association. In short, those who practice criminal law for Berkley, Massachusetts are highly experienced in their field.
What to Expect When Working With a Criminal Lawyer
If you’ve been charged with a crime, it’s important to hire an experienced criminal attorney as soon as possible so they can begin working on your case. You can expect your criminal lawyer to do the following:
- Review the facts of your case and explain the applicable laws
- Investigate the circumstances surrounding your arrest
- Identify any potential defenses you may have
- Determine what plea bargain options may be available in your case
- Advise you on the best course of action given the facts of your case and applicable laws
Being charged with a crime is serious business, and you need someone experienced in criminal law, Berkley, Massachusetts by your side every step of the way to ensure that your rights are protected and that you have the best possible defense.
Your criminal lawyer will work tirelessly on your behalf to get the best outcome possible given the facts of your case. Jenkins-Bryant & Surrette, PC is here to do just that. Contact us today to get the professional assistance you have a right to.